IWFC Automotive Tint-Off Finalists AnnouncedSeptember 22nd, 2012 | Category: Industry News
Finalists were announced this morning for the Automotive Tint-Off Competition at the International Window Film Conference and Tint-Off in Louisville, Ky. The finalists were selected from the 56 competitors that tinted in yesterday’s preliminary heats.
The competitors moving on to today’s finals are (in alphabetical order):
- Nick Abaro from Genesis Window Tinting in Elk Grove, Calif.;
- Joshua Balbuena from Hot Spot Tinting in Marietta, Ga.;
- Chris Brennan from Tint King in Indianapolis, Ind.;
- Chris Brooks from Kauffs Tint & Graphics in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.;
- David DeRocha from Adhesive Pro in Duncanville, Texas;
- Brian Felts from Jenkins Auto Group in Deland, Fla.;
- Salvador Hurtado from Sal’s House of Tint in San Marcos, Texas;
- Ray Martinez from Mr. Tint in Vista, Calif.;
- George Nevarez from Precision Films of Nashville, Tenn. in Nashville;
- Jason Petty from Keltint Customs in Crossville, Tenn.;
- Chris Robinson from The Tint Guy in Woodstock, Ga.;
- Daniel Villagrana from Brazos Valley Auto Concepts in Hewitt, Texas; and
- James Williams from Shade Tree Glass Tinting in Metairie, La.
Contestants were judged on cleanliness of film, cleanliness of vehicle, light gaps and edge cuts, quality of application and warranty card and final instructions. The points given for film installation technique carried heavier weight in the scoring.
During the heats held yesterday, competing technicians were allowed 20 minutes to complete one window film installation on either the driver or passenger-side of a car. In the upcoming final round, competitors will have 60 minutes to complete a larger automotive film installation. Judging for both events is based on quality, not time. Time is only a factor in the event of a tie.
This winner of today’s final Tint-Off will $10,000, a gold medal and trophy. Second place will receive $3,000 as a silver medal. The third place contestant will take home $1,000 and a bronze medal.
Judges for the event are Miguel Detres, technical service representative for Solar Gard, William (Bill) Stewart, sales development manager of the automotive division for Madico Inc., and Steve Wood, key accounts manager for HanitaTek Window Films.
Finals will take place this morning on the show floor. The winner will be announced at tonight’s Gala Awards Reception and Ceremony at 5 p.m. in Ballroom 6 at the Marriott. A separate ticket is required to attend the event.